The Morrison Bridge will be closed to all users from 8 p.m. tonight, August 22 until as late as 5 a.m. on Wednesday, August 23, during construction work on the lift span. The closure will allow the contractor replacing the deck on the lift span to install temporary parts that support the west leaf of the lift span. The “live load shoes” will be in place for several months while the deck of the west leaf is replaced.
During the bridge closure:
- Alternate river crossings for all modes include the Hawthorne and Burnside bridges.
- Ramps between the Morrison Bridge and Interstate 5 and Interstate 84 will be closed, except for the ramp from the Morrison Bridge westbound to I-5 north.
- Motorists can access I-84 eastbound at NE Grand Avenue and NE Everett Street.
- I-5 north can be accessed from the west side via I-405 north (Fremont Bridge). Eastside access is from the ramp at NE Broadway and N Williams Ave.
- To access downtown from I-5 south or I-84 west, I-5 south drivers can exit at the Rose Quarter/Broadway Bridge and I-84 westbound drivers can exit at Rose Quarter/Weidler exits.
- I-5 south traffic can access the onramp to Highway 99E/U.S. 26.
The contractor expects to complete construction by the end of October 2017. Multnomah County maintains the Morrison Bridge and five other Willamette River bridges. For more information, visit www.multco.us/bridges or follow @MultcoBridges on Twitter.