In its fourth year, CIC members and staff are attending non-traditional events throughout the county to talk with people about what the county does, answer questions and provide information about services and volunteer opportunities. Non-traditional events provide an avenue to reach residents who are not already involved with county affairs. Event attendees frequently don’t know the county exists or what programs and services the county provides, much less how to engage with county government.
Since the program began, CIC members and staff have engaged in discussions with over 600 people at 32 events. In addition, over 270 people have requested additional information about county programs and volunteer opportunities. Many new members for various advisory committees have also been recruited. Beyond staff time, the costs are minimal. Volunteers enrich this program—from committee members who attend events to talk about their engagement to event managers who voluntarily provide table space at no charge. The campaign was recently recognized with an Achievement Award at the 2013 National Association of Counties Conference.
The events we are planning to attend in 2013 include:
- Rockwood National Night Out (Tuesday, 8/6)
- Kenton Farmers Market (Friday, 8/9)
- Gresham Farmers Market (Saturday, 9/7)
- Hillsdale Farmers Market (Sunday, 9/8)
- Volunteer Expo 2013 in Pioneer Square (Friday, 9/13)
- St. Johns Farmers Market (Saturday, 9/14)
- King Farmers Market (Sunday, 9/15)
- Lents International Farmers Market (Sunday, 9/22)
- Southwest Sunday Parkways (Sunday, 9/29)
Please contact us if you have additional ideas for meetings or events that you would like us to attend.