A recent Education Week article celebrates SUN Community Schools as a model of staying power and careful expansion. They focus on several aspects of SUN's sustainability including:
- Collaboration, commitment and shared responsibility among the City of Portland, Multnomah County, 6 school districts and community
- Community schools as hubs to deliver and coordinate an array of services and initiatives beyond afterschool programming
- The SUN Service System Coordinating Council which helps provide vision and increased partnerships
These approaches have helped SUN survive and thrive even through difficult times, and have had a significant impact on academic and family success.
To view the full article you have to register with Education Week.
3 Easy Steps to View the Full Article:
- Go to the article preview page (close the pop up ad if it appears)
- Select "Register Now" near the bottom of the page and fill out the form
- Select "Click to View Content" button when on the "Thank you for registering page!"