This is a highly regulated business. Multnomah County Administrative Rules (MCAR) clearly define what is expected of an Adult Care Home operator.
In addition to the administrative rules, an operator must be more aware of other requirements of operating a small business, like:
- Hiring staff: you must know and follow Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI) laws, such as minimum wage
- Be aware of difference between employee and independent contractor
- Employee vs. Independent Contractor
- Comply with landlord/tenant and fair housing laws
- Insurance: consider workers compensation although not required by law
- Liability insurance required; not the same as homeowner’s
- Taxed as a business
If there are violations of the rules, the operator may be sanctioned. Sanctions include warnings, fines, non-renewal and revocation of the Adult Care Home license.
After several violations or one serious violation that jeopardizes the safety of residents, an operator may lose their license.