Qualifying Test Registration
The Adult Care Home Program offers three different Qualifying Tests.
- The Developmental Disabilities Qualifying Test is required for all caregivers, resident managers, and operators prior to providing direct care to residents. This test is based on the DD Basic Training Manual. Please study the manual before taking this test.
- The APD Qualifying Test is required for APD and MHA resident managers and operators, and for caregivers who want to become resident manager-qualified. This test is based on the APD Basic Training (Ensuring Quality Care) and on the ACHP Orientation. Please complete these courses before taking this test.
- The Ensuring Quality Care test. This test is based on the Ensuring Quality Care class. The test must be successfully completed within 90 days of completing the class.
Qualifying Test Dates:
- Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 1:30 pm
- Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 1:30 pm
- Monday, May 13, 2019 10:00 am
- Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 1:30 pm
- Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 1:30 pm
- Monday, June 10, 2019 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 1:30 pm
- Monday, July 8, 2019 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:30 pm
- Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Basic Training Materials
- State of Oregon Adult Foster Home Approved Trainings (link to external website)
- Other Trainings for DD Providers (link to external website) - please verify that the trainings on this website are approved for Adult Care Home continuing education
- APD Ensuring Quality Care Courses (link to external website)
The English Test is required for all resident managers and operators, and may be required for some caregivers. There are no training requirements or study materials for this test. The Adult Care Home Program has partnered with Mt. Hood Community College to offer this test for ACHP applicants. The test includes a reading assessment and a listening assessment. The cost is $10 ($5 per assessment). Testing is offered in 2 locations and testing times are available Monday through Saturday. Find more details here.
Life and Work Reading Sample Questions (download Level C)
Life and Work Listening Sample Questions (download audio files, Level C)
Mandatory Abuse Reporter Training
- For APD Providers: https://ilearn.oregon.gov/dl.aspx?id=DF80B292DE004B7C827345FC08948234
- Alternate Training for APD Providers: Oregon Care Partners' online mandatory abuse reporter training
- For DD Providers: https://ilearn.oregon.gov/dl.aspx?id=30E5F06EFF2D43C1807B460421403672
- For MHA Providers: https://ilearn.oregon.gov/dl.aspx?id=4A32F225981C44F58C541F550BBE47B0
Pre-Service Dementia Training
- All new APD applicants (caregivers, resident managers and operators) must complete an approved pre-service dementia training prior to any new role approval. Existing providers must complete the training by December 31, 2019.
- Oregon Care Partners has an approved, free 6-hour series of online classes to meet this requirement.
- The Independent Adult Care Home Association has an approved, 2-hour class "Fundamentals of Dementia Care for AFH Providers." The cost is $25 for non-IACHA members, free for members. For class schedules contact IACHA by email at email@example.com.
- ACHP is developing a dementia training. More details will be posted soon.
Food Handler Training
- Operators, Resident Managers and caregivers who want to become resident-manager-qualified or who will be left in charge of the home during an Operator or Resident Manager's absence must complete a one-time food handler training.
- The Multnomah County Health Department website provides a food handler study guide/training manual and information on how to get a food handler card.
- Please note that not all food handler cards are approved in the state of Oregon. The Oregon Health Authority’s public health office lists approved and unapproved food handler training and cards here.
Operators, Resident Managers, and caregivers who want to be resident-manager-qualified must complete the online fire safety training and test available at www.safeafhcare.org.