September 3, 2020
COVID-19 Update: Healthy Birth Initiatives is providing services by telephone only. We are still accepting new clients and referrals.
Our classes, Community Action Network meetings and Father/Male Involvement activities are being held online. Call us for information.
Healthy Birth Initiative addresses the needs of pregnant African American women.
It does this by opening up access to health care and providing ongoing support to pregnant African American women and their families before and after birth.
Our services are Afrocentric and include:
- Individualized, in-home case management
- Access to community health nurses and other specialists
- Help with goal planning
- Respite care
- Breastfeeding support
- Discount car seats
- Family planning
- Transportation for medical care and health education classes
- Coordination of care with health care providers and community agencies
- Ongoing classes and groups
What are the benefits?
African Americans experience rates of infant mortality and low birth weight at levels that unjustly and disproportionately affect their communities. Healthy Birth Initiative works to achieve healthy birth outcomes by improving the well-being of mothers, fathers and their children before, during and between pregnancies.
Who can receive services?
You may be able to receive services if you:
- Are pregnant
- Are African American
- Live in Multnomah County
How do I apply?
Call 503-988-3387 to apply, refer a client, or to get a schedule of classes and events.
Join online. May 3, 10, 17, 24 | Mondays, 6-7pm
You are invited to attend and learn:
- Process of labor and birth
- Hospital routines and options
- Breathing and relaxation techniques
- Medication for labor, cesarean birth
- Recovery process
- Breastfeeding, newborn characteristics
Call 503-988-3387 for more info.
Class access: meet.google.com/iyb-yniv-kkr | Phone:+1 617-675-4444 | PIN: 941 973 086 0506#
Pregnancy & Newborn Education Classes
Join online on Tuesdays, 3-4pm. Held monthly. Free and open to anyone who wishes to attend. We cover a different topic each week so you can start anytime during your pregnancy, or just come to the topic that interests you the most.
Classes are taught with an African American cultural focus and conducted in English. No registration necessary.
- Week 1: How to have a healthy pregnancy, nutrition
- Week 2: Breastfeeding
- Week 3: Pregnancy complications
- Week 4: Newborn care, sexual health
- Thursday, May 27, 6-7pm | Dad Talk: Focus on Car Seat Safety
- Saturday, May 22, 1-2:15pm | Black Dads Read
Call 503-988-3387 for more information.
Other Classes and Support Groups
Offered online. Conducted in English. You don’t have to be a Healthy Birth Initiative client to attend. Classes focus on the needs of African Americans living in Multnomah County. Call 503-988-3387 for times and login information.
- Health Education Classes: Topics include healthy pregnancy, parenting and reaching personal goals like financial stability, education and finding stable housing.
- Male Caregiver Health and Wellness: Support groups, educational classes and family activities open to fathers and other male caregivers. Members work together to make lifestyle changes that positively impact self, family and community.
Community Action Network
Join online the 3rd Wednesday of every month, 6-7:30pm. The Community Action Network (CAN), works to identify and address the major barriers to healthy birth outcomes for African American/Black families. Healthy Birth Initiatives parents and community partners lead the group and make up the membership.
Meetings are open to the public. For more information call 503-307-4134.
May 19, 2021, 6-7:30pm
Meeting ID: 949 6314 5755
Meeting ID: 949 6314 5755
Healthy Birth Initiative
5329 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Portland, Oregon 97211
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am-5pm