Haven’t filed yet? Don’t worry! There are last-minute options for filing your taxes

April 12, 2010

The April 15 deadline for filing federal taxes is quickly approaching, and if you have not yet filed, there are some last-minute resources still available.

Multnomah County Library offers free computer time for people who want to file their federal taxes online in various library branches through April 15. While library staff are unable to provide tax advice, they can give technical support, help you find tax resources online and help you print forms. Printing paper tax forms costs 10 cents per page. Reservations are not required and computers are given on a first-come, first-served basis. View complete event details regarding locations, dates and times.

CASH Oregon, a community-based nonprofit that serves Clackamas, Washington and Multnomah Counties, in partnership with AARP Tax-Aide, offers free tax preparation to anyone who needs help filing their taxes. The service is intended for lower income families but their certified tax preparers will provide help to anyone who seeks it. They estimate they can help you prepare and file your taxes in less than one hour, and offer assistance in English, Spanish, Cantonese, Russian, Mandarin and Vietnamese. Get more information from their website, where you can also locate walk-in locations in your area.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) also offers free filing help from an online service called Free File. The service helps you choose free tax software (if you made less than $57,000 in 2009), or it will provide all the necessary forms you need to file without using software.

Another option for those who have yet to file their taxes is to get an extension until October 15 to file your return. You may also do this with the IRS’ Free File service. However, an extension grants additional time for filing your taxes, not paying them—you still must pay any balance due at the time of your extension request. Read more about getting an extension.

Visit Multnomah County Library’s tax help page for more tax information.