Concerned about growing gang violence in the Jefferson/Roosevelt neighborhoods, nearly 100 community members and public safety professionals gathered in the cafeteria of Jefferson High School on December 1, 2011. Community members were urged to take action and offered opportunities to get more involved in activities such as foot patrols, prayer groups, mentoring programs and sports activities for youth.
Participants also honored the life and accomplishments of Rob Ingram of the Office of Youth Violence Prevention. Rob had planned to participate in this meeting before his sudden passing a few days before the event. “Rob was a devoted husband and father of five lovely children. Rob was a long-time community activist and dedicated his life to improving the social conditions for at-risk youth. Rob knew from personal experience that the Jefferson Community has been traumatized by the loss of life and the ongoing gang activity”, shared Carl Goodman, Assistant Director, Department of Community Justice, who led the tribute.
Lennie Edwards, Jefferson High School, moderated the event. Panel presenters included:
· Scott Taylor, Department of Community Justice
· Margaret Calvert, Jefferson High School
· Carl Goodman, Department of Community Justice
· Tom Peavey, Office of Youth Violence Prevention
· Royal Harris, City of Portland Outreach Worker
· John Canda, CONNECTED
· Dr. Harold Briggs, Portland State University
· Pastor Merriweather, NE Community Fellowship Church
· Pat Callahan, District Attorney’s Office
· Ron Alexander, Portland Police Bureau
· Rebecca Stavenjord, County Health Department