Healthy people in healthy communities.
In partnership with the communities we serve, the Health Department assures, promotes and protects the health of the people of Multnomah County.
- We believe that health is a "state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." (World Health Organization, 1978)
- We honor the diversity of the individuals and communities we serve and value their differing approaches to health and well-being.
- We believe in partnerships to improve the health of our communities.
- We believe the department's actions should assist our communities in addressing underlying factors that affect good health.
- We value effective leadership as a fundamental tool to improve the health of our communities.
- We believe in being responsible stewards of the public trust and resources.
- We value a diverse staff and believe our staff should be selected with care, treated with respect, held accountable for their performance and encouraged in their personal growth.
- We believe in continuously improving the quality of our work.
- We believe in balancing scientific knowledge and practical experience with the wisdom and beliefs of those we serve to improve the health of our communities.
- We emphasize prevention, health promotion and early intervention.
- Assure individuals, families and communities gain greater control of the factors that influence their health.
- Improve the health of our diverse communities.
- Be an adaptive learning organization that serves as an effective and accountable local public health authority and provider of community health services.
Multnomah County Health Department
426 SW Stark St, 8th Floor
Portland, OR 97204