Interstate 5 northbound will close between the Marquam and Fremont Bridges from 10 p.m. Friday, May 12 until as late as 4:30 a.m. Monday, May 15.
The closure is the last of four full directional closures of I-5 for Burnside Bridge repairs. ODOT will also complete paving and bridge repairs on I-5 between Broadway and the Fremont Bridge on Saturday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. I-5 will open north of Broadway after 6 p.m. Saturday.
Travelers on I-5 northbound will take Interstate 405 northbound (exit 299B) across the Fremont Bridge to reach I-5 northbound.
The following on- and- off-ramps will close to keep travelers out of the work zone:
- I-5 northbound Broadway/North Williams on-ramp from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. Detour: On-ramp open north of North Going or North Alberta streets
- I-405 southbound SW Fifth Avenue on-ramp. Detour: I-405 southbound SW Broadway on-ramp
- Interstate 84 westbound off-ramp to I-5 northbound and Convention Center/Moda Center from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. Detour: I-5 southbound to I-405 northbound (exit 0) to reach I-84 (exit 301).
- I-84 eastbound on-ramp from the Morrison Bridge. Detour: I-84 eastbound on-ramps at NE Grand at NE Everett.
The freeway closure will add to congestion so travelers should consider using other routes, including surface streets, or taking transit, depending on their travel plans.
Closing I-5 will allow contractor Hamilton Construction to complete concrete repairs underneath the Burnside Bridge, which spans lanes of the freeway. Areas of the concrete are degraded and at risk of falling on the freeway. This work is part of Multnomah County’s Burnside Bridge Maintenance project.
- For Burnside Bridge project information, visit burnsidebridge.org.
- For information on public infrastructure projects throughout Portland’s central city, visit MovePDX.net.