Monday-Friday, 9 am-4:30 pm
Expect longer wait times between noon and 2 pm and 3:45 and 4:30 pm.
In addition to marriage licenses, Multnomah County offers a voluntary program of registration for domestic partners of either sex. The county domestic partnership is a means for unmarried, committed couples who share a life and home together to document their relationship.
A county domestic partnership does not carry the same rights of a marriage license. However, insurance providers and other programs may recognize the partnership at their own discretion.
Are we eligible for a county domestic partnership?
To register for a domestic partnership in Multnomah County, both parties must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Reside together and share the common necessities of life.
- Not be married or registered as the domestic partner of another person in any jurisdiction.
- Not be first cousins or any nearer of kin.
- Be mentally competent to consent to contract.
- Be each other's sole domestic partners and intend to remain so indefinitely and are responsible for each other's common welfare.
- Understand that the county domestic partnership is a domestic partnership of continuous duration.
- Affirm that neither has filed a Statement of Termination of County Domestic Partnership Registration within the last six months.
- Agree to file a Statement of Termination of County Domestic Partnership Registration, if the partnership is terminated (except by death) or any of the facts set forth above change.
How do we register for a county domestic partnership?
- Both partners must appear in our office together.
- Present valid photo ID (i.e. driver’s license or passport).
- Bring $60. We accept cash, certified funds (cashier’s check or money order) or debit/credit cards (fees apply).
After your identification is verified and payment is made, we will issue your county domestic partnership. The certificate is valid immediately after issuance. There is no waiting period.
Where is the office located?
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Suite 175
Portland, OR 97214
Office hours are 9:00 - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday. Expect longer wait times between noon and 2pm and 3:45 and 4:30pm.
Need extra help?
Phone: 503-988-3326, option 4
Do I need to be a resident of Multnomah County?
You do not need to be a resident of Multnomah County to get a county domestic partnership.
Do I need witnesses?
Witnesses are not required. The space is provided on the certificate for optional use by the registrants who may wish to have family, friends, or someone from their religious community sign the certificate.
How do I terminate a county domestic partnership?
A Statement of Termination of County Domestic Partnership must be filled out by one or both partners.
Termination paperwork is kept in our office and costs $25. We accept cash, certified funds (cashier’s check or money order) or debit/credit cards (fees apply).
Requirements for termination:
- Both partners must appear in office to sign the termination paperwork.
- If only one partner is present to sign the paperwork, the signing partner must certify that they attempted to notify the other partner in writing of the termination of the partnership. In writing is defined as mailing a notice of intent to terminate the partnership, with a certified mail return receipt, to the last known address of the other party.
Can a replacement certificate be purchased?
A new certificate with the original document number followed by a "C" for copy can be purchased for $3.75. Both partners must be present to sign the replacement certificate.