How do I apply?
- Download the DS-11 application before coming to our office. Office location and hours.
- Please print clearly. If you make a mistake, draw a line through it.
- Do not use White-Out.
- Decide if you want a passport book or card.
- Complete lines 1 - 22 on the application.
- Do not sign the application until instructed by the authorized acceptance agent.
- You must print your Social Security Number on the application form. Failure to do so will delay the application process, and could result in a fine from the IRS.
- Submit application in person. Bring supporting documents and payments. Office location and hours.
To apply for your passport you will need to submit 4 items: proof of US Citizenship, Photo ID, a passport photo and payment.
- Proof of United States Citizenship. Any of the following are acceptable:
- A previous, full-validity U.S. Passport, or
- Your Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or
- Your Certificate of Naturalization, or
- A certified birth certificate, issued by the city, county, or state where you were born:
- It must have a filing date and official seal from the governing agency and must include parental information.
- Certified Copy - Photocopies of Certified Copies are not acceptable.
- At least one type of Photo ID. A Photo ID must have both the signature and the photo of the applicant.
- Acceptable forms of photo ID are:
- Driver's License
- Military ID Card
- Government Employee ID Card
- State-issued ID Card (at the discretion of acceptance agent).
- The following items will need extra documentation:
- Instructional Permits
- Any other type of photo ID
- Acceptable forms of photo ID are:
- One Passport photo.
- Don't have a photo? We'll take one for you for only $10! (Let the Agent know if you need a second one before they print).
- The photo should be: 2" x 2", head and shoulders only, face forward, with white or off-white background.
- Photos must be recent - within the last six months.
- Color photos only.
- Certain situations need a second photo, such as visas and hand carries.
- Call the National Passport Information Center for more information at 877.4USA.PPT (877.487.2778).
- Forms of payment:
- Determine correct fee and payment options.
- Either a check, cashier's check, or money order made out to “U.S. Department of State” for the Application Fee, and
- A separate form of payment to Multnomah County for the Processing Fee, which can be paid with check, cashier's check, money order, credit or debit card (fees apply), or cash.
- Our office cannot accept credit or debit cards for the Application Fee, only for the Processing Fee.
Are there additional requirements for minors?
Yes, there are some extra requirements for minor children. All minors must appear in person.
For minors under the age of 16:
- Both parents/guardians should appear together and sign, or
- One of the parents/guardians can appear without the other, if the absent parent/guardian has completed a notarized Form DS-3053 of parental/guardian consent, or
- One parent/guardian can appear with a notarized statement explaining why the other parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained.
- Parent/guardian must show proof of parental/guardian relationship. A certified birth certificate or adoption order is acceptable.
For minors age 16 -17:
Minors age 16-17 with a valid driver's license may appear without a parent/guardian. The minor must bring written consent or a check signed by a parent/guardian for the application fee.
Division of Assessment, Recording and Taxation (DART)
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Suite 175
Portland, OR 97214
503-988-3326, option 6
Passport Acceptance Hours:
We accept applications and take photos Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
The DART and Passport Acceptance offices close for all federal holidays, except Columbus Day.
Traveling within 14 calendar days, and want to get a passport immediately? You may apply in person at the Seattle Passport Agency. To make an appointment, call the National Passport Center, 1.877.487.2778.
Links to more passport information
- Search for nearest passport acceptance office
- U.S. Department of State - Passport information
- Renew your passport by mail
Please note: Multnomah County DART is a passport acceptance agent for the U.S. Department of State. If you have questions about a passport you already submitted, contact the U.S. Department of State.
- National Passport Information Center: 877.4USA.PPT (877.487.2778)
- TDD/TTY: 888.874.7793
- Automated information is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Have a travel emergency? Call the National Passport Information Center to speak with a customer service representative. Do not e-mail.