Links to additional online resources and tools, including kindergarten transition plans used in different communities, promising practices, and research.
Planning and Implementation Tools
- Bridges to Kindergarten (pdf, 304KB)
- Transition Plan for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in North Carolina
A framework for transition programs that is being piloted in Waianae with Native Hawaiian organizations and the DOE. Comprehensive, practical tools for supporting kindergarten transition.
- Keiki Steps to Kindergarten
Overview of a summer kindergarten transition program in Hawaii's public schools focused on children with little or no preschool experience.
- Pathways to School Success (Ready Freddy)
Tools to support kindergarten transition, including a Guide to Quality Transitions for Principals and curriculum for a parent-child transition program.
- Plumas County Kindergarten Transition Plan (pdf, 24KB)
Developed by the Plumas County School Readiness Program's Early Childhood Education/Teacher Workgroup. Plumas County is located in northeastern California.
- Terrific Transitions Website
Resources and tools for supporting children's transition to kindergarten. Information organized into sections by audience: Head Start, Family and Parents, Preschool and Kindergarten Teachers, Non-classroom Personnel
Research and Articles
- Early Care and Education
Listing of publications on this topic published by Harvard Family Research Project
- Early Childhood Longitudinal Program
Three longitudinal studies that examine child development, school readiness, and early school experiences
- The Effect of School-Based Kindergarten Transition Policies and Practices on Child Academic Outcomes (pdf, 440KB)
Study by Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University, published in American Psychological Association
- Enhancing the Transition to Kindergarten: Linking Children, Families, and Schools
National Center for Early Development and Learning Kindergarten Transition Project at the University of Virginia
- Promoting Parent-School Relationships During the Transition to Kindergarten
Brief summary of the study above that links transition practices to improved academic outcomes and increased parent involvement
- Effects of a School-based, Early Childhood Intervention on Adult Health and Well Being
Published in Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine
- Paving the Way to Kindergarten: Building Neighborhood Partnerships to Support Young Children's Smooth Transitions to Schools
A community planning guide that includes a transition to kindergarten community calendar with examples of strategies to promote successful transitions
- Readiness: School, Family, & Community Connections (pdf, 1MB)
- Publication of Southwest Educational Development Laboratory
- Terrific Transitions Publication (pdf, 3.3MB)
Discusses the kindergarten transition from The SERVE Center at University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- The Transition to Kindergarten: A Review of Current Research and Promising Practices to Involve Families
Published by Harvard Family Research Project
Additional Online Resources
- The Campaign for Grade-Level Reading
Learn more about this collaborative effort by dozens of funders to address 3 major obstacles to making progress on grade level reading by 3rd grade: school readiness, chronic absence, and summer learning loss.