Am I eligible for Veterans' Affairs (VA) benefits?

The best way to figure out whether you are eligible for veterans' benefits is to speak to a veterans' service officer. Veterans' service officers can explain the eligibility requirements for various state and federal benefits and, if you decide to apply for benefits, help you throughout the VA claims process.

What do county veterans' service officers do?

County veterans' service officers provide assistance to applicants for VA benefits throughout the claims process, from completing and submitting paperwork, to appealing unfavorable decisions, to providing representation at hearings.

How do I schedule an appointment with a veterans' service officer?

If you are a Multnomah County resident, call (503) 988-VETS (8387)

Can Multnomah County veterans' service officers help me even if I don't live in Multnomah County?

The Multnomah County Veterans' Services Office is only able to assist veterans who are residents of Multnomah County. However almost every county in Oregon has a veterans' service office. Find a Veteran Service Officer.

Do you provide emergency financial assistance?

The Multnomah County Veterans' Services Office does not provide emergency financial assistance. However, emergency financial assistance is sometimes available from the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs OVEFAP program. Because the funds for this program are extremely limited, assistance may not always be available. If you have questions about applying for the OVEFAP program, you can call our office at (503) 988-VETS (8387)

Who can I contact for housing assistance?

The Portland VA Medical Center provides housing services at the Vancouver campus. Appointments are provided on a walk-in basis. Walk-in hours are Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Who can I contact about education benefits?

The VA Muskogee Regional Office manages claims for educational benefits. They can be reached at 1 (888) 442-4551.

How do I obtain my DD-214/ discharge papers?

Visit the National Archives and Records Administration website to request your records online, or come to the Multnomah County Veterans' Services Office to fill out Standard Form-180.

Are there any veterans' homes in Oregon?

There is one veterans' home in Oregon, the Oregon Veterans' Home. If is located in The Dalles and run by the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs.

Resources: Hotlines, Housing, etc.