Read the executive summary on this page and download the pdf for the full report.
What We Found
After a thorough review of Animal Services, we are concerned about:
- A lack of consistent animal enrichment that appeared related to staffing choices.
- Barriers that make it difficult for people to be reunited with their pets.
- Limited documentation about decisions to release animals with known behavioral problems.
- Poor data tracking.
We are pleased to see:
- Significant improvements to the layout of the shelter.
- Access to criminal background information by animal control officers.
Why We Did This Audit
This report is a follow up to the audit that we issued in March 2016. Due to the large number of findings we identified last time, we decided to conduct a follow-up two years later.
What We Recommend
Animal Services management should implement the recommendations completely.