The Good Government Hotline is designed to accept reports of suspected fraud, abuse of position, and misuse of County resources. The Good Government Hotline also accepts Multnomah County employee complaints of harassment and discrimination.
Fraud is defined as the intentional misappropriation of County assets including, but not limited to, theft, embezzlement, or misrepresentation. Fraud can be internal or external, perpetrated by contractors or vendors, as well as by County agencies and or employees.
Examples of fraud:
- Misappropriation of County cash and other funds, including funds intended for service recipients or those in County jail facilities
- Theft or unauthorized removal of County records or property or the property of others
- Willful destruction or damage of County records, County property, or the property of others
- Falsification of records such as time cards or travel and other expense vouchers
Abuse is defined as use of employment with the County to obtain personal gain or benefit from the County to which one is not entitled, for the employee or for someone else, such as a friend or family member. Such actions constitute abuse of position and abuse of the public trust.
Examples of abuse of position:
- Obtaining a benefit or service from the County for which an employee does not qualify
- Providing a benefit or service to someone for which they do not qualify
- Unauthorized reduction of fines or fees
Misuse of County resources is defined as using a County resource, such as County equipment or County-compensated time, for personal use.
Examples of misuse of County resources:
- Personal use, unauthorized use, or misuse of County property such as computers, telephones, vehicles, and fax machines
- Performing personal business on County time
- Not working when being paid to work
Discrimination or Harassment is defined as uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct directed at an employee because of his or her sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, beliefs, etc.