Some animals, known as specified animals, have special requirements if you plan on owning them. These animals include: chickens, pigeons, turkeys, geese, cows, horses, mules, burros, donkeys, cattle sheep, goats, pigs, rabbits, llamas and bees.


Not Required:

  • If you have a combination of three or fewer ducks, chickens, rabbits, doves, pigeons or pygmy goats in a residential or commercial setting.
  • For licensed public zoos or other accredited and recognized animal care facilities.


If you have more than three of those animals or one of any other animal mentioned, you must apply for a permit and meet City of Portland requirements.

Chicken Requirements (196.07 KB)
Other Specified Animal Requirements (206.98 KB)
Permit Application (Excluding Bees) (126.16 KB)

Beekeeping Requirements (239 KB)
Beekeeping Notification Packet (134.26 KB)
Beekeeper Checklist (140.81 KB)


  • Beehives: $12
  • All other animal permits: $31

Chicken Facility Requirements

A minimum of 2 square feet of floor space (per bird) in the roosting shelter is recommended. Outside, a minimum of 10 square feet of enclosed area per bird is recommended. In addition you should use a thick replaceable ground cover such as straw or wood shavings. Check your local farm store for facility plans.

Wild or Predatory Animals

This includes any animal which is of a wild or predatory nature and which because of its size, vicious nature or other characteristics would constitute an unreasonable danger to human life or property. Therefore, ostriches, emus, peacocks, pheasants, llamas and bison will now be required to obtain a specified animal facility permit.

Frequently asked questions:

Is there a maximum number of animals I can have?

This depends on the size of your property and facility, the type of animal(s) you plan to keep and feedback from your neighbors. This also depends on how well you meet the permit requirements. Often times an inspection may be necessary to determine how many animals you may keep.

If I have 3 or less animals do I still need a permit?

No, except if your facility, such as a chicken coop, is so poorly maintained that it is affecting the wellbeing of your animals or your neighbors. This can include escaping animals or attracting rodent activity.

Why do I need to tell my neighbors?

Regulations require that you inform your neighbors if you plan to keep specified animals. This prevents conflict from surprised neighbors, allows problem-solving to occur early in the process and reduces complaints.


To make a specified animal complaint, please call 503-988-3464.

Dogs and Cats
For animal complaints regarding dogs and cats—including barking dogs—and complaints regarding exotic animals; or if you are in imminent danger from a roaming animal, call Multnomah County Animal Services at 503.988.7387. 

Contact Us

Multnomah County Vector Control
5235 N Columbia Blvd
Portland, Oregon