Vector Control protects health and enhances livability through control of the rat and mosquito populations, and serves as a resource for addressing public health vector problems. Programs include Rodent Control, Mosquito Control and Code Enforcement, which enforces some specific county and city municipal codes.
Our surveillance, education, prevention and control activities are done in accordance with and authority granted from Oregon Revised Statute 452.
What's a Vector?
Vector is another word for animals or organisms that can spread disease to humans. In Multnomah County mosquitoes and rats are two of the most common vectors.
We fulfill our work by:
- Monitoring the presence of mosquitoes and mosquito borne disease in Multnomah County
- Performing community inspections of potential mosquito breeding habitats
- Maintaining mosquito populations at levels that are safe and comfortable for the residents of Multnomah County.
- Providing mosquitofish to county residents to control mosquito larvae in ornamental pond and pools
- Performing rat inspections to assist residents in the control of rats in and around their home
- Provide technical assistance to landowners and community organizations on the prevention of vectors.
Public Health Ecologist at Work
Vector Control Specialist at Work
The Code Enforcement program ensures community livability through the education and enforcement of Multnomah County and City of Portland regulations including:
- City of Portland Title 8 Health and Sanitation
- City of Portland Title 13 Animals
- Multnomah County MCC Chapter 15 Sheriff Chapter 15: Sheriff (772.04 KB)
- Multnomah County MCC Chapter 21 Health
- City of Maywood Park, Municipal Codes
- Metro Regional Government Code Chapter 5.09 Illegal Dumping
Understanding pests is the first step to preventing and controlling them. We are happy to come to your school, organization or civic club to offer education on vectors like mosquitoes and rats. We often discuss:
- The work of Multnomah County Vector Control and Code Enforcement
- Where vectors like mosquitoes or rats come from
- The diseases that vectors carry
- How to prevent vectors in your home and community
Please send us an email describing what type of information your group needs.
Multnomah County Vector Control
5235 N Columbia Blvd