We want your application to get the attention it deserves. Here are our top ten tips for applying for a position with Multnomah County.
1. Read the job posting carefully. Make sure you understand the minimum and preferred qualifications, job duties, and what materials are required to apply.
2. Do your homework. Learn as much as you can about the position before you apply. The job announcement provides an overview; you may find additional information about who we are and what we do on the Multnomah County website.
3. Apply as soon as you can. Some recruitments may close without warning.
4. Make sure we know how to reach you. Please keep your contact information up-to-date.
5. Describe your qualifications. Take the time to fill out your application and any additional materials completely and accurately. Be sure your application addresses the minimum and preferred qualifications of the position. Describe how you meet the desired skills and experience, and how you stand out from the crowd of other qualified job seekers. Tell us about your accomplishments!
6. Include information about your work history on the application, including volunteer positions and internships. Describe all relevant experience, skills and other qualifications for the job, as outlined on the job posting.
7. Answer any supplemental questions completely. Be concise, but make sure your answer provides details about your knowledge, skills and/or experience related to each question. Any training or experience you refer to in your responses also should be on your application.
8. Proofread and edit your application. Pay attention to grammar and spelling and avoid using abbreviations and acronyms.
9. Make sure you include all information as requested. For example, some jobs require proof of license or certification as a part of the application, or certain types of attached documents such as a cover letter. The job posting will state everything that is required.
10. If you are a qualified veteran and wish to apply for veterans’ preference, submit all required documentation. Get detailed information and instructions on claiming veterans’ preference.