In accordance with Oregon law, veterans who meet the minimum qualifications and any special qualifications for a position may be eligible for veterans’ preference in public employment.
Keep in mind:
- Individuals may receive either 5 points as a qualified veteran (non-disabled) or 10 points as a qualified disabled veteran, but not both. If there is not a scored exam in a selection process, we will apply another method of preference as required for those who qualify.
- Veterans’ preference will not be awarded without the appropriate documentation. See details, below.
- There is no limit to the number of times you can use veterans’ preference. However, you must submit required documentation for each recruitment process in which you are claiming veterans’ preference, even if you have submitted documentation before.
To Apply for Veterans’ Preference with Multnomah County:
- Multnomah County has an online job application process. Have your documentation ready to upload during the application process. There will be a screen to request a preference and attach supporting documentation.
- You have the option to apply for 5 points (Veteran) or 10 points (Disabled Veteran). Refer to definitions and required proof, below.
You must have served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States (US):
- For more than 90 consecutive days beginning on or before January 31, 1955; or
- For more than 178 consecutive days; or
- For 178 days or less and has a disability rating from the US Department of Veteran’s Affairs; or
- For at least one day in a combat zone; or
- Received a combat or campaign ribbon or an expeditionary medal for service in the Armed Forces.
To qualify under #1-5 above you must have been discharged or released under honorable conditions; or
6. You are receiving a non-service connected pension from the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
*You must provide proof of eligibility by submitting:
- A copy of your DD214/DD215 form (documentation must include character discharge to qualify under #1-5 above); or
- To qualify under #6, provide a letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs indicating you receive a non-service connected pension.
You must be:
- A person whose discharge or release from active duty was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty; or
- Have a disability rating from the US Department of Veterans Affairs; or
- Awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in combat.
**You must provide proof of eligibility by submitting:
- A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; and
- A copy of your veterans' disability preference letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
For additional information or questions regarding definitions contact the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs at 800.692.9666.
For Veterans Qualified for Veterans’ Preference:
Review the job posting for any position that interests you to learn important information about minimum qualifications and any special qualifications. If you believe you have skills that would transfer well and/or special qualifications that relate to the position you are applying for, please list those skills and/or qualifications on your application. Clearly explain how those skills and/or qualifications are applicable.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act:
We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in a recruitment process. Please contact the recruiter listed on the job posting in advance to request assistance. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments may contact the recruiter through the Telecommunications Relay Service by dialing 711.