When you work for Multnomah County, you make a real difference in the community, no matter what position you hold.
Our diverse, dynamic workforce is made up of more than 5,500 people providing a vast array of services that benefit everyone who lives, works or does business in Multnomah County.
We keep the community healthy and safe and act as advocates for our most vulnerable citizens. We design, build and maintain bridges, roads, buildings and other structures. We uphold justice and protect victims’ rights. We operate one of the most highly regarded library systems in the nation, manage elections and coordinate school-community partnerships. We enforce the law and operate correctional facilities for adults and youth. We process passport applications and marriage licenses, provide assessment and taxation services, and manage animal control operations.
In short, we provide the services necessary to create and maintain a safe, healthy and vibrant community.
At the top of our organizational chart are the citizens of Multnomah County. We work for you.
Elected officials take a lead role in county management. Four area-specific commissioners and the county chair make up our Board of County Commissioners. Other elected officials include the sheriff, the district attorney, and the county auditor.
A vast network of directors and managers oversees the day-to-day operations, long-term planning and strategic vision for the county’s individual departments, divisions and work units.
Our Culture and Values
Multnomah County is committed to maintaining an effective, respectful and inclusive workplace. We value collaborative problem solving and strive for continuous improvement.
Some of the values that inform our work include:
- Integrity: We strive to be honest and trustworthy. We put the county’s work above our personal goals.
- Stewardship: We seek to demonstrate tangible, cost-effective results from our work. Our decisions are clear, evidence-based and fair.
- Health: We support a healthy community from birth through adulthood.
- Public Safety: We maintain safe neighborhoods through prevention, intervention and enforcement.
- Social Justice: We promote equity in the community. We include people who have not been included in the past and help those who need help.
- Sustainability: We focus on the long-term social, environmental and economic well-being of our community.
- Creativity and Innovation: We value new ways of thinking and encourage diverse opinions. We recognize ingenuity and resourcefulness.
Diversity and Inclusion
We know that supporting a diverse and culturally competent workforce is the best way to promote a positive work environment for our employees and the only way to effectively serve our diverse community. Our commitment to exceptional public service relies on an inclusive culture with a focus on continuous growth and improvement.