Instructions for Officiants
You must have received documentation of your ordination. We will not ask for the proof of your ordination. Also, you do not need to register your ordination with Multnomah County before the ceremony.
Two persons age 18 or older need to witness the solemnization of the marriage.
Following the marriage ceremony, complete the Ceremony section on the marriage license. You must fill in the following information:
- Date of marriage
- Location of marriage
- County of marriage
- Your signature
- Your title (minister, priest, etc.)
- Your name, personal address and phone number (PO BOX is acceptable.)
- The name, physical address and phone number of the organization. (PO BOX is not acceptable.)
- The printed names of the witnesses.
You are responsible for returning the license within five days of the ceremony either by mail or in person.
A marriage license form that is not completed will cause a delay in processing the license. The parties involved will not be able to get certified copies until the errors are corrected. We include with the license packet.
To be considered a valid ordination, the State of Oregon requires:
- An organization must be active (i.e. conducting business or holding services).
- The ability to provide a valid physical address for which they are located.
If the organization has closed or does not have a physical address, then you must get another ordination. We cannot process a license that fails to meet either of these requirements.
Need additional help?
Use our live chat service.