In Oregon, same-sex couples can register as domestic partners or purchase a marriage license.
If you are interested in purchasing a marriage license, please visit the marriage page.
Opposite-sex couples are not eligible for the state domestic partnership.
Are we eligible for a state domestic partnership?
You must meet these requirements to register your domestic partnership with the State of Oregon:
- Are a same-sex couple.
- At least 18 years of age.
- One of the parties must be a resident of Oregon.
- Are not married or registered as the domestic partner of another person in any jurisdiction.
- Are not first cousins or any nearer of kin.
- Are mentally competent to consent to contract
How do we register for a state domestic partnership?
- Fill out the Print on 8 ½ “ x 14” paper.
- Have the form notarized. Local banks provide notaries.
- Once the form is notarized, bring it into our office. Only one party needs to be present.
- Present valid photo ID (i.e. driver’s license or passport).
- Bring $60. We accept cash, certified funds (cashier’s check or money order) or debit/credit cards (fees apply).
After your identification is verified and payment is made, we will sign and register your state domestic partnership. The partnership is valid immediately after registration. There is no waiting period.
How do I get a certified copy?
Certified copies are available for purchase as soon as the partnership is registered. The first copy is $7.75. Any additional copies are $4.00 apiece. We accept cash, certified funds (cashier’s check or money order) or debit/credit cards (fees apply).
Where is the office located?
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd. #175
Portland, OR 97214
Office hours are 9:00 - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday. Expect longer wait times between noon and 2 pm and 3:45 and 4:30 pm.
Need extra help?
Phone: 503-988-3326, option 4
We already registered for a Multnomah County Domestic Partnership. Can that transfer over to a State Domestic Partnership?
No. Multnomah County’s domestic partnership registry does not provide the same level of rights or responsibilities as the statewide system.
Will Multnomah County’s existing domestic partnership registry continue to operate?
Yes. Some couples may choose to use this option instead, including those in different-sex partnerships.
Does the law apply to transgender individuals?
If your gender identity qualifies you as a member of a same-sex couple, you may register a state domestic partnership.
How do I terminate a state domestic partnership?
Contact your local county courthouse and file the paperwork, as one would do in the case of divorce.