Healthy Birth Initiative addresses the needs of pregnant African American women. It does this by opening up access to health care and providing ongoing support to pregnant African American women and their families before and after birth.
Our services are Afrocentric and include:
- Individualized, in-home case management
- Access to community health nurses and other specialists
- Help with goal planning
- Respite care
- Breastfeeding support
- Discount car seats
- Family planning
- Transportation for medical care and health education classes
- Coordination of care with health care providers and community agencies
- Ongoing classes and groups
What are the benefits?
African Americans experience rates of infant mortality and low birth weight at levels that unjustly and disproportionately affect their communities. Healthy Birth Initiative works to achieve healthy birth outcomes by improving the well-being of mothers, fathers and their children before, during and between pregnancies.
Who can receive services?
You may be able to receive services if you:
- Are pregnant
- Are African American
- Live in Multnomah County
How do I apply?
Call 503.988.3387 to apply, refer a client, or to get a schedule of classes and events.
Free and open to anyone who wishes to attend and learn more about pregnancy, childbirth and caring for an infant. Classes are taught with an African American cultural focus and conducted in English. Call 503.988.3387 to sign up.
Some topics covered include:
- What happens to your body during pregnancy
- How to know when you are in labor
- Postpartum depression
- Ways dads can provide support during and after birth and labor
- How to care for your new baby
- Community resources for new parents
- May 7-30, Mondays, 6-8pm (except the last class)
- July 2-23, Mondays, 6-8pm
- September 5-24, Mondays, 6-8pm (except the first class)
- November 5-26, Mondays, 6-8pm
Pregnancy & Newborn Education Classes
New for 2018! Free and open to anyone who wishes to attend. We’ll cover a different topic each week so you can start anytime during your pregnancy, or just come to the topic that interests you the most. Classes are taught with an African American cultural focus and conducted in English. No registration necessary. Call 503.988.3387 for more information.
- Week 1: How to have a healthy pregnancy, nutrition
- Week 2: Breastfeeding
- Week 3: Pregnancy disorders and complications
- Week 4: Newborn care, reproductive health
- April 3-24 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- May 1-22 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- June 5-26 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- July 3-24 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- August 7-28 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- September 4-25 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- October 2-23 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- November 6-27 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
- December 4-26 | Tuesdays, 3-5pm
Other Classes and Support Groups
Conducted in English. You don’t have to be a Healthy Birth Initiative client to attend. Classes focus on the needs of African Americans living in Multnomah County. Call 503.988.3387 for times and locations.
- Health Education Classes: Topics include healthy pregnancy, parenting and reaching personal goals like financial stability, education and finding stable housing.
- Seeking Safety: This class helps African American women and men improve self-image and increase safety at home and in the community.
- Male Caregiver Health and Wellness: Support groups, educational classes and family activities open to fathers and other male caregivers. Members work together to make lifestyle changes that positively impact self, family and community.
Healthy Birth Initiative
5329 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Portland, Oregon 97211
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am-5pm