Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are an increasingly popular way to:
- increase density
- earn rental income
- provide convenient housing for family members
How will adding an ADU affect your property taxes?
- A Multnomah County appraiser will visit your property to appraise the entire property, including the new ADU
- The added value associated with the construction of the ADU (and any other new improvements to the property) will be assessed and taxed
- The construction of the ADU will not trigger a reset of the Maximum Assessed Value (MAV)
Estimating Additional Taxes
The potential additional taxes associated with the ADU can be estimated by multiplying the Market Value by the Tax Rate by the Changed Property Ratio as explained below:
Market Value: If you are hiring a contractor to do the work, the cost of construction may be a good estimate of the market value of the new ADU. However, keep in mind that the cost does not necessarily equal market value.
Tax Rate: To find the tax rate for your area, locate the "code area" on your tax bill. Using the Levy Code Area Rate Sheet, look up the "total all rates" amount for your code area. Rates are expressed in dollars-per-thousand ($1/$1000).
Changed Property Ratio (CPR): look up the current changed property ratio for your property type.
- Multiply the market value times the tax rate
- Multiply the number from step 1 by the changed property ratio to determine the estimated additional yearly tax
The calculation outlined above is for illustrative purposes only and should not be taken as a representation of your actual tax amounts or calculation. The calculation is based on historic values, tax rates, and changed property ratios and hypothetical new construction values. The actual tax amount and value(s) will vary. Multnomah County is not responsible for any decisions made by a taxpayer based on the results of this calculation.
For information on permitting fees and building requirements, contact the permitting jurisdiction for your property. The Multnomah County Assessor's office is not the authority for permitting or building requirements.
If you have more questions regarding the property tax implications of constructing an ADU, contact DART Customer Service at 503.988.3326 or email@example.com