Come volunteer with us!
We are looking for community members within Multnomah County to volunteer with us.
Our volunteers are trained to do things such as:
- Provide emergency preparedness education to Multnomah County's diverse community through presentations, tabling events, neighborhood meetings, and special events.
- Create content and promote emergency preparedness and other relevant material on MCEM's web site and on social media, via Facebook and Twitter.
- Support Emergency Management staff through a variety of administrative tasks.
- Conduct research.
Volunteer shifts generally take place during business hours but occasional evening and weekend shifts are available.
To apply to be a volunteer, please fill out our form. You'll need to attach a resume to the application.
MCEM hires interns through the Summerworks program. Interns receive mentorship and training as they work on projects, conduct research, and/or create web content. Interns work with the MCEM volunteer and intern coordinator to craft a program based on what they want to learn.
Your job as a professional intern is to gain emergency management experience and generate work samples that showcase your strengths. Hard work, enthusiasm, attention to detail, and the ability to ask for and accept feedback are vital characteristics for any intern. Duties may include: posting relevant content to the MCEM Facebook or Twitter page, updating and creating content for the MCEM website, working on projects, conducting research.
In addition to the projects at MCEM, interns are required to conduct informational interviews with professionals in their field of interest, shadow professionals in their field of interest, and conduct an information interview at a college of university of their choice. Each of these assignments requires a written reflection of not longer than one page.
Benefits: Paid internship through SummerWorks, free bus pass, career and financial counseling.
Duration:180 hours, June-August. Hours are negotiable and established in collaboration with the MCEM Volunteer and Intern Coordinator.
- Age 16-24
- Express an interest in Emergency Management.
- Hard work, enthusiasm, attention to detail, and the ability to accept (and seek out) feedback are vital characteristics for anyone working in Emergency Management.