Make a foodborne illness complaint
Multnomah County Health Department takes all citizen complaints regarding foodborne illness and food safety seriously. If you believe that you have become ill from something you ate we would like to know. Please call us at 503-988-3400 to report it.
When you call, be prepared to answer some questions. The interview may take up to 20 minutes to complete. You will be asked to provide details about:
- The ill person (name, age, contact information)
- The symptoms you are experiencing (what they’re like, when they started, how long they lasted)
- What and where you ate for 3 days before they became ill
- Information about people the ill person ate with
- Recent travel or recreational water activity
Reporting illnesses helps us to identify potential food-borne disease outbreaks. By investigating foodborne disease outbreaks, we can learn about possible problems in food production, distribution and preparation that may cause illness.
When to call a doctor
If you have any concerns about your symptoms, seek medical attention first.
Symptoms of foodborne diseases
If you are experiencing one or more of the following symptoms, you may have a food-borne disease.
- Diarrhea (sometimes bloody or watery)
If you are having a medical emergency, dial 911.