Birth Records are located at different organizations depending on the time of birth. There can be some overlap across the organizations.
Less than 6 months since the date of birth:
- Find these records at the Multnomah County Health Department.
More than 6 months since the date of birth:
- Find these records at the Oregon Health Authority.
- Records extend back to 1903.
Births in the City of Portland from 1864 to 1917
- Find these at the Oregon State Archives.
- This resource provides more detailed information.
Birth records dated prior to 1903 may be found in church records, local newspaper announcements, and other non-governmental sources. Contact the Genealogical Forum of Oregon for research assistance.
Multnomah County Health Department
847 N.E. 19th Ave, Suite 350
Portland, OR 97232
Oregon State Archives
800 Summer Street
Salem, OR 97310
Genealogical Forum of Oregon
2505 SE 11th Ave
Portland, OR 97202