There are several types of death records available in Multnomah County and elsewhere.
Death Index Sites
- Visit the Multnomah County Central Library to use the Oregon Death Index and How to Find Vital Records in Oregon. For help using these resources contact a librarian or call the Information Services line at 503-988-5234.
- See the Family Search website for the United States Social Security Death Index.
Access to death records in Oregon is restricted for 50 years following death. Please review the relevant agency's policies to confirm you are eligible to obtain a certified death record.
For certified copies six months or less following death.
- Order copies through the Multnomah County Health Department.
For certified copies six months or more following death
- Contact the Certification Unit of the Oregon Center for Health Statistics.
- Records are maintained for all deaths in Oregon from 1903 until the present.
For non-certified copies from 50 years ago or older
- Contact the Oregon State Archives.
- Certificates for deaths that occurred in Portland between 1862 and 1902 are available on microfilm at the City of Portland Archives and Records Center.
Probate Court settles legal matters related to estates, wills, trusts, conservatorships, and guardianships.
- Contact the Multnomah County Circuit Court Family Court (part of the Oregon Judicial Department) directly to access records: 503-988-3022 (option 4).
- Contact the Multnomah County Recorder's Office directly for more information on recorded probate records.
No formal requirement exists in the State of Oregon for wills to be recorded; however:
- Contact the deceased's lawyer who may have a copy of the will.
- Contact Court Records for wills that were part of a probate case.
- Historic wills may have been recorded by the Recorder's Office; contact them directly for more information.
- Historic records from the Multnomah County Coroner, 1894 to 1965 are available for public research. Contact the Multnomah County Archives [link to Contact Us page] to make an appointment.
- Contact the Genealogical Forum of Oregon for assistance in researching genealogical information found in cemetery records, mortuary records, obituaries in local newspapers, and other non-governmental sources.
Multnomah County Health Department
847 N.E. 19th Ave, Suite 350
Portland OR 97232
Multnomah County Medical Examiner
State Registrar, Oregon Health Division
Center for Health Statistics
800 N.E. Oregon Street, Suite 205
Portland OR 97232
Oregon State Archives
800 Summer Street
Salem OR 97310
City of Portland Archives and Records Center
1800 SW 6th Ave, Suite 550
Portland OR 97201
Genealogical Forum of Oregon
2505 SE 11th Ave, Ste B-18
Portland OR 97202