The following rules apply when using archival records:
- No food or drinks are allowed in the reference area.
- Only pencils can be used for note taking while using archival records.
- Archival records shall not be marked, altered, mutilated, or defaced in any way
- The original order of the records shall be maintained.
- No records shall be removed from the reference area.
- Staff shall be notified when research is completed.
Use of some materials may require special handling. If gloves or other items are required in order to use a record, staff will provide them. If records are particularly fragile, photocopies may be substituted for the originals for reference use.
Unless express permission is given, staff will make photocopies. Some records are too fragile for photocopying. If copies of these records are required, special arrangements must be made. Digital cameras and scanners may be used to reproduce records only with the express permission of staff.