If your organization/group wants to hold a voter registration drive follow these laws:
- To be eligible to register to vote in Oregon you must be
- a citizen of the United States
- a resident of Oregon
- at least 17 years of age
- The deadline to register to vote is the 21st day before an election.
- You can register to vote or update your voter information online at oregonvotes.gov or by filling out an Oregon Voter Registration Card.
When voters are filling out the Oregon Voter Registration Card:
- Ask them to fill out the form using black or blue ink only. Voters should print legibly, read the directions on the form, and fill out all required information completely.
- Voters must provide a valid Oregon Driver’s License, Permit or ID number, the last four digits of their Social Security Number OR other acceptable identification listed on the Voter Registration Card.
- Eligible voters CAN register to vote if they are experiencing homelessness or upon release from prison after a felony conviction.
- Eligible voters without a permanent residence address can provide any physical location within the county that describes where they spend time (shelter, park, or cross street). The mailing address is the address where they want their ballot mailed (PO BOX or they may use the Elections Office address).
As a voter registration drive organizer you:
- May NOT alter any information on the card. (ORS 247.125)
- May NOT coerce or direct voters to choose a particular political party. You must accept all Voter Registration Cards no matter party selection and cannot turn anyone away.
- May NOT keep a copy of the registration card unless you block out the voter’s signature, DMV Driver’s License/ID number, and social security number. This information is not public record.
- Must return all voter registration cards to a county elections office within five calendar days of the voter registration drive (date you receive the card). (ORS 247.012(2)(a))
If you have questions or would like more information about voter registration drives or elections processes:
Visit the Oregon Secretary of State’s website at oregonvotes.gov or call 1.866.673.VOTE.
For Voter Education and Outreach support please contact Multnomah County Elections’ Voter Education and Outreach Program Specialist, Catherine McMullen at 503.988.9764 or email@example.com .
**The Voter Education and Outreach Program does not provide support at political events and is entirely nonpartisan. Multnomah County Elections does not endorse or discuss any particular candidates or measures.
Multnomah County Elections
Tim Scott, Director of Elections
1040 SE Morrison St. Portland, OR 97214
503.988.3720 | firstname.lastname@example.org | mcelections.org