Safe Routes to School makes walking and bicycling to school more fun, convenient, and safe for families.
Multnomah County partners with the cities and schools of East Multnomah County to support Safe Routes to School activities for youth. Our programs focus on the 5 E's to achieve healthier and safer communities for walking and bicycling.
The Five E's are:
- Education: Teaching parents and youth safety skills and awareness, as well as about different travel options to get to school.
- Encouragement: Using fun events, awards and contests to encourage families to walk, bike, or roll to school.
- Engineering: Working with the appropriate government agencies to make needed changes to the built environment surrounding a school.
- Enforcement: Increasing awareness about traffic laws that protect children when walking and bicycling.
- Evaluation: Monitoring the success of our Safe Routes to School programs.
Multnomah County can support schools in East Multnomah County who provide Safe Routes to School programming activities such as:
Encouragement events before, during, or after school to promote walking and bicycling
Bicycle and pedestrian safety curriculum for schools, including training for school staff
- Creating Action Plans to help schools determine opportunities and needs to make walking and bicycling more fun and safe
For more information on how Multnomah County can support your Safe Routes to School activities and for examples of successful projects, download our Fact Sheet here: .
Partners and Resources: