VIKKI (VARSANDAR) BURNSIDE
OCCUPATION: Loan Officer/Loan Processor
OCCUPATIONAL BACKGROUND: Banking, Loan Servicing, Mortgage Banking.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND: Centennial School System 1968-1980 all 12 years. Attended Mt Hood & University of Oregon
PRIOR GOVERNMENTAL EXPERIENCE: Centennial Budget Committee
I want to be part of the Centennial School Board so that I can get an inside look at how I can better advocate for children. I want all kids to learn and smile at the same time.
The Centennial Education system has had a positive impact in my life.
I have the ability to ask questions that some only think about saying. I think it's important that the Board set the welcoming tone for the entire district. Participation is the best gift that we can give ourselves and our community. I've have volunteered in many ways throughout the district. I've been involved in many clubs and functions throughout the district. I held Officer Positions in PTA, and Scouting. I was appointed to the Centennial Budget committee for a three year term on 11/09/94. I sat on different forums and attended programs for parents. I've been involved in many sports associations in the district, soccer, basketball, baseball, scorekeeping, running concessions, track, whatever it takes. I support activities, plays, talent shows. I think music is important for our kids.
I have a reputation for being fair and open. I am responsible not just to people that have students in school, but for people that are planning families for the future and for taxpayers that have no children attending in the district. The school is the core of the community.
I know that a positive experience in school can help students to change the world. The students Win, and We Win as a community. Making good choices on what schools should and shouldn't be about that's what taking a responsible role on the school board would mean to me.
(This information furnished by Vikki [Varsandar] Burnside)
ALDEN (LEW) LEWIS
OCCUPATION: Retired; Consultant - Financial Services
OCCUPATIONAL BACKGROUND: Regional Manager Variable Annuity Life Insurance Company (VALIC); Vice President Variable Annuity Marketing Company (VAMCO)
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND: Bachelor of Science; Economics Major; Secondary Education Certificate; University of Utah
PRIOR GOVERNMENTAL EXPERIENCE: Elected Centennial School Board 2001-2005; Building Committee, Tigard School District
EXPERIENCED AND DEDICATED VOLUNTEER
- Classroom volunteer - Pleasant Valley Elementary - 6 years
- Start making a Reader Today (SMART) Lynchview Elementary - 2 years
- Member Pleaseant Valley playground fund raising committee - raised $60,000
- Parent of a 5th grader and a 4 year old we adopted from China. When we adopted our daughter, I turned in my golf bag for a diaper bag and rededicated myself to the kid business.
ACCOMPLISHED SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER
Worked effectively as a team player on the current board to:
- Plan and oversee remodeling of Centennial High School and construction of Butler Creek Elementary ($31 million bond project, on time and under budget)
- Hire new superintendent, Dr. Robert McKean
- Support Centennial's participation in the Center for Advanced Learning (CAL)
- Revise and strengthen School Board policy regarding student achievement
- Recognize the quality of Centennial's employees and support a vision of shared leadership
EXPERIENCED TO MEET THE CHALLENGES OF THE FUTURE
- My experience with past negotiations will be an asset as we negotiate new agreements with employees
- I have the financial experience and background to help the board prioritize during a very challenging financial time in the state
A VISIONARY WITH A MISSION
My reelection will ensure my continued involvement and support of the following:
- Increased academic achievement for all students
- A safe and supportive environment for students
- A focus on improving instruction by alignment of district initiatives with board priorities
- Increasing the involvement of parents and the community in our schools
(This information furnished by Alden [Lew] Lewis)