MARIA C RUBIO
OCCUPATIONAL BACKGROUND: Contractor - Policy Consensus Institute; Policy Director - Office of Mayor Tom Potter; Executive Director - Western Community Policing Institute/WOU; Analyst - U.S. Department of Justice/Washington, D.C.; Crime Prevention Specialist - Washington County Sheriff's Office; Parole & Probation Officer - Washington County Community Corrections
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND: PCC; PSU
PRIOR GOVERNMENTAL EXPERIENCE: Governor's Public Safety Review 2004; Board of Directors, United Way
I'm running for County Commission because I believe in putting the community first when it comes to decisions that affect our lives.
- I bring over 25 years of experience in public policy, public safety, and organizational systems change at the federal, state, county and city levels that will contribute to our region's success. This experience makes me the most qualified and unique candidate for the job.
- Multnomah County now needs stable, thoughtful leadership to think ahead about the impact of changing demographics, budget and economic realities.
- I believe in investing in prevention and investing at the front end before people end up in the system. We need to be more pro-active in our planning.
The issues I am most passionate about that make up my platform are:
- Prioritize the social determinants health for communities by investing in culturally-specific programs that are proven to work;
- Improving public safety by exploring City/County public safety consolidation to save money, improve accountability, and increase community livability; and investing in critical and lifesaving disaster preparedness planning;
- Investing in establishing livable wage jobs that provide economic equity to all communities, including those most vulnerable; and
- Examine county government to find innovative ways to more equitably balance human services and infrastructure funding, working transparently and collaboratively with community stakeholders.
I come from a family that at one time or another has used government programs. I have been on the receiving end of programs, so I know their value and will advocate for them.
I am honored to have local community leader support. I ask for your vote and the honor to serve you.
(This information furnished by Maria Rubio)
The above information has not been verified for accuracy by Multnomah County.