OCCUPATION: I represent District 5 as a Metro Councilor.
OCCUPATIONAL BACKGROUND: Co-founded Cloudburst Recycling, Bicycle Transportation Alliance, and the Coalition for a Livable Future; Benson High School Science Teacher; U.S. Forest Service Researcher.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND: Bachelors from Portland State University; Masters from Tufts University; leadership certificate from Harvard.
PRIOR GOVERNMENTAL EXPERIENCE: Transportation Advocate; Governor's Climate Change Integration Group; Oregon Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee; Metro Councilor since 2001.
Community Leadership: I've worked with Eliot Energy House, Northeast Farmers Market, Friends of Trees, Environmental Middle School, Eagle Scout, Zoo Foundation, Northeast Community School, and the Association of Metropolitan Planning Organizations.
I'm running for Metro President because our future depends on putting people back to work. I believe job creation and environmental stewardship must go hand in hand. My proven leadership reflects Oregon's values of a clean environment and a strong economy.
Proven Leadership for Regional Economic Growth
- I've delivered over $100 million in new transportation projects for freight rail and port projects, creating thousands of sustainable jobs.
- I reformed Metro's budget process, making Metro more accountable to taxpayers.
- I will deliver a Columbia River Crossing that is safe, affordable, and reduces pollution, creating 26,000 jobs.
Proven Leadership for a Clean Environment
- When Outdoor School faced closing its doors, I delivered funding so that 18,000 children could learn about nature and science.
- I protected our air, water, and wildlife habitat by passing the $227 Million Natural Areas Bond Measure, securing over $44 million for local parks.
- I will help local business become more energy-efficient, saving money, protecting our environment, and creating new jobs.
I am proud to be endorsed by organizations Oregonians trust, including:
Portland Association of Teachers/TVIP
Joint Council of Teamsters No. 37
Oregon Wild Conservation Leaders Fund
Portland Firefighters Association IAFF Local 43
Northwest Oregon Labor Council, AFL-CIO
See why over 50 Elected Leaders and over 1,000 Community and Business Leaders in Clackamas, Washington and Multnomah Counties support Rex
(This information furnished by Rex Burhkolder)
The above information has not been verified for accuracy by Multnomah County.