Getting Help for a Child
All children experience difficulties as part of normal development. But when a child has needs that put them at risk for losing their home, school placement or connection to the community, it might be time for some extra help.
Multnomah County Wraparound helps families who are enrolled in Health Share and have a child who is experiencing serious mental health or behavioral challenges.We support youth up to age 17 who are receiving mental health treatment AND
Who are involved in at least one of these:
- Department of Human Services/Child Welfare
- Special education (IEP)
- Intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Juvenile justice
- Substance abuse and addictions
How It Works
Wraparound is a collaborative process that brings together children, family members, friends, teachers and service providers to create an individualized plan for addressing your child’s needs.
You'll meet at least monthly as a team to engage in an intensive planning process.
Our team-based model is family-driven and youth-guided. It works by building on family strengths, collaborating with community resources and incorporating shared decision-making. Each approach is individualized and informed by the family's culture.More about the Wraparound process» (PDF)
Who Is Eligible
A child may be eligible if they:
- Are 17 years old or younger
- Live in Multnomah County and enrolled in Health Share/Multnomah Mental Health
- Receive mental health treatment from a provider*
- Receive services from at least one other child serving system
- Are at risk for needing a higher level of mental health care than outpatient services
- Are at risk of losing their current living or school arrangement
*Children 5 and under do not have to be receiving mental health treatment, and may be eligible if:
- Parents are experiencing poverty, substance use or mental health issues
- Parents’ relationship is unstable
- At risk of losing child care placement
- At risk for more serious emotional and behavioral challenges
To Refer a Youth
Email or fax us a completed:
- Mental health assessment that has been completed within the last 60 days
We'll review your referral to make sure it meets the criteria. Your referral packet must be complete and include a mental health assessment before we can begin this process.
A coordinator will contact the provider and family to discuss next steps.
- Wraparound Basics
- Ten Principles of Wraparound (PDF)
- Ten Principles Applied to Family Partners (PDF)
209 SW 4th Ave, Suite 250
Portland, Oregon 97204
Kanoelehua Egleston, Wraparound Supervisor