- Columbia River Gorge NSA Rural Area Plan
- Columbia River Gorge NSA Management Plan
(from Columbia River Gorge Commission)
The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area was created on November 17, 1986 when President Reagan signed into effect Public Law 99-663. After nearly five years of scenic, cultural, natural and recreational resource data collection and analysis, a Management Plan for the Scenic Area was adopted by the Columbia River Gorge Commission on October 15, 1991 and concurred upon by the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture on February 13, 1992.
The Federal Act establishing the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area mandated that each county within the Scenic Area either adopt regulations to implement the Management Plan for their portions of the Scenic Area or relinquish control of land development within the Scenic Area to the Columbia River Gorge Commission. Prior to adoption of local regulations, development within the Scenic Area was regulated by Federal Interim Guidelines implemented by the Gorge Commission.
On February 6, 1993, Multnomah County was the first county with land within the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area to adopt regulations implementing the Management Plan for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Those regulations became effective on June 22, 1993 after concurrence by the Secretary of Agriculture. Since that date, Multnomah County has reviewed over 200 land development proposals for compliance with the scenic, cultural, natural and recreational resource guidelines of the Management Plan as implemented through the Multnomah County Zoning Code.
Columbia River Gorge NSA Handouts
- NSA Handout 1: Intro to Use & Development (288.11 KB)
- NSA Handout 2: Use Tables (850.82 KB)
- NSA Handout 3: Allowed Uses (60.26 KB)
- NSA Handout 4: Expedited Development Review Process (423 bytes)
- NSA Handout 5: Site Review (440.47 KB)
- NSA Handout 6: Design For Approval (736.28 KB)
Columbia River Gorge NSA Forms and Applications
- NSA General Application Form (175.43 KB)
- NSA Lot Line Adjustment Expedited Application (200.71 KB)
- NSA Property Line Adjustment (59.33 KB)
- NSA Residential Expedited Application (204.66 KB)
- NSA Road Utility Expedited Application (205.9 KB)