What is MERP?
MERP is a Flexible Spending Account (FSA). It is a pre-tax account to use to pay for eligible medical, dental, and vision care expenses that aren't covered by your insurance plan.
How Does MERP Work?
- Begin by estimating your eligible, out-of-pocket health care expenses for the upcoming year.
- Use your estimate to enroll in MERP when you are first hired or during open enrollment.
- The money you elect will be deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis.
Important Facts about MERP
- MERP funds can be used for eligible out-of-pocket expenses for yourself and/or your dependents (spouse and eligible children).
- Domestic Partners are not considered eligible dependents under federal law; therefore you cannot claim their expenses (unless they are a "qualifying relative").
- The minimum annual amount is $240, and the maximum is $2,750.
- You have access to your total annual amount for MERP on Jan. 1 of the plan year.
- New participants will receive a MERP debit card (formerly known as Benny card) in the mail, which can be used for eligible expenses.
- Up to $550 in unused funds will automatically be carried over to the next year.
- Funds in excess of the $550 rollover limit are subject to the “use it or lose it” rule.
Enroll using Workday.
What are some examples of MERP-eligible expenses?
- Asthma inhalers
- Prescription medications
NEW in 2020:
- Face masks (cloth and medical)
- Over the counter medicines like:
- pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprofen
- antibiotic ointments
- eye drops
- cough syrup
- throat lozenges
- Menstrual care products like:
- Review more eligible expenses
When can I sign up?
- Within 31 days of employment or eligibility, and
- Every Open Enrollment period (Oct. - Nov.) you sign up for the following year.
- You can also change, end, or enroll during the year if you have qualifying events (new baby, marriage, certain job changes).
Access your MERP account through PacificSource. You are given a username and password upon enrollment.
MERP Documents and Information
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-988-3477.
Customer Service: Toll Free 800-422-7038 -- http://psa.pacificsource.com/PSA/