Election FAQs
Am I eligible to vote?

You may register to vote if:

  • You are an Oregon resident.
  • You are a U.S. Citizen or will become one before Election Day. (See below.)
  • You are at least 17 years of age.
    If you are 17 years of age, you will not receive a ballot until an election occurs on or after your 18th birthday.

How do I register to vote?

  • You can register online using the Oregon Secretary of State's My Vote.
  • You can fill out and print the registration form and then deliver the form to your county elections office by mail or in-person. 

When do I need to update my registration?

  • When you move or change your mailing address.
  • You change your name. If your name has changed, please use the paper registration form and submit it to your county election official so we can record your new signature. 
  • You wish to change your party affiliation.
  • Your ballot is not forwardable mail. You must update your registration with your county elections office to receive a ballot at your new address.

Is my registration current?

  • To view your registration status, please use the Oregon Secretary of State's online Voter Registration Lookup.
  • If you have any questions about your voter registration, please call Multnomah County Elections at 503-988-3720.

Where can you can find voter registration cards?

Do I need to provide identification?

  • You must provide your valid Oregon Driver's License, Permit or ID number. A suspended Driver's License is valid, a revoked Driver's License is not valid.
  • If you do not have valid Oregon ID, provide the last four digits of your Social Security number.
  • If you do not have a Social Security number or valid Oregon identification, provide a copy of one of the following that shows your name and current address:
    • acceptable identification:
      • valid photo identification
      • a paycheck stub
      • a utility bill
      • a bank statement
      • a government document
      • proof of eligibility under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) or the Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act (VAEH)

What is the registration deadline?

  • In order to vote your registration card must be postmarked or received 21 days prior to Election Day.
  • Party registration changes must be received at an elections office by the registration deadline.

What if I've moved?

If you are currently registered to vote in Oregon, but have moved to an address in Multnomah County, you may update your registration using our change of address form. With DMV ID, you can also register online, or you can deliver a new paper registration to our office. Please remember that ballots are not forwardable, so we need your current address to mail a ballot to you. 

I will be out of town when ballots are mailed (20 days prior to the election date). How do I get a ballot?

Absentee ballots are available 45 days before the election. You must complete the Absentee Ballot Request Application, print it and sign it. You can return the completed and signed application to us by mail, fax, e-mail (as an attachment) or deliver it in person. The fax number is 503-988-3719. The address is Multnomah County Elections, 1040 SE Morrison St. Portland OR 97214. The e-mail is elections@multco.us.

Your voted ballot must be received by Multnomah County Elections or a designated drop site by 8 p.m. on Election Day. Postmarks do not count!

Is a person who has been convicted of a felony eligible to vote?

The general rule is persons convicted of a felony, whether the defendant serves their term of incarceration in a state correctional facility or in a county jail, cannot vote while they are serving their term of incarceration for the felony. Once released from incarceration they must re-register to vote in order to restore their voting rights.  All others in the criminal justice system may vote (such as pre-trial detainees, persons serving misdemeanor sentences in county jails, persons on parole or probation). Read more for specific circumstances.

What if I become a U.S. Citizen after the registration deadline?

If you are planning on becoming a U.S. Citizen after the registration deadline you must register by the registration deadline. Please contact our office at 503-988-3720 for more information.

Do I have to re-register for each election?

No. You only need to update your registration when your residence or mailing address changes; your name changes; or you wish to change your party.

Can I transfer my voter registration from another state?

No. You must register in Oregon.

How do I know whether I am properly registered?

  • When you register or update your registration, a Voter Notification Card (VNC) will be sent to you. Please allow up to 3 weeks for delivery. Receipt of the VNC card is not necessary to vote. If you are registered, your ballot will be sent to you by mail.
  • You may call our office at 503-988-3720 to check on the status of your registration.

Can I request assistance in registering to vote or marking my ballot?

  • Yes. Any Oregon voter with a disability can call the County Elections Office to ask for help to:
    • register to vote
    • complete a ballot
    • return a ballot
  • If for any reason you need help, please call the Oregon Votes toll free information line 1-866-673-8683 or Multnomah County Elections at 503-988-3720.
  • You can request and receive help in your home or any other place you choose such as a care center, library or local Senior Center.
  • Additional resources are available.  Services and Technology for Voters with Disabilities.

How do I cancel my voter registration?

  • To cancel your Oregon registration in Multnomah County, please e-mail, mail or fax a signed  Cancellation Form (84.5 KB)
  • If you have moved out-of-state and are registering in your new state it is helpful if you list your previous Oregon registration information. The new state will then notify us. You can also send us a signed  Cancellation Form (61.06 KB) by email, fax or by mail.
  • If you moved to another county in Oregon all you need to do is register in that new county. Multnomah County will be notified of your move when you register You do not need to cancel your registration when you move to another county in Oregon, but you need to make sure you register at your new address.