- Location: NE Arata Road between 223rd and 238th Avenues, with some additional work on Halsey Street and Wood Village Boulevard
- Schedule: Most construction completed January through early February 2020. Landscaping work through January 2020. Improvements at intersection of Arata Road and 238th Drive to be completed in spring/summer 2020.
- Contractor: Wildish Standard Paving
- Estimated Cost: $6.1 million
- Funding Source: Two federal sources and County General Roadway Funds
The project includes a complete streetscape between NE 223rd Ave and NE 238th Drive including a 6-foot sidewalk on the south side and a 10-foot wide concrete shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists on the north side. The project will also enhance the existing asphalt paved path connecting the intersection of Arata Road and Wood Village Blvd. to Halsey Street by widening and adding lighting. The project also includes a 5-foot planter to treat storm water runoff. The design is shown in the graphic below.
Storm water pipes will be installed on a small section of Halsey Street and on Wood Village Boulevard between Halsey and Arata.
When road construction is complete, the City of Wood Village will install fencing along some portions of Arata Road. City staff will coordinate with property owners before the fencing is installed.
Funding for the project comes from multiple federal grant sources including $1.67 million from Regional Flexible Funds awarded by Metro and $2.1 million allocated from the State of Oregon’s Flexible Funds.
- Arata is open in both directions from Wood Village Boulevard to 223rd.
- Arata is open eastbound only from Wood Village Boulevard to 238th.
- The north sidewalk and traffic lane on Arata are closed east of Wood Village Blvd. The sidewalk and traffic lane on the south side are open.
Access will be maintained for residents, businesses and organizations along Arata Road, including mail delivery, garbage collection, and emergency vehicle access. During work at driveways, there will be brief access delays, with prior notice.
Most road work will be completed in January 2020. Improvements at intersection of Arata Road and 238th Drive and at a culvert on Arata will be completed in spring/summer 2020.
See this website for recent construction updates. Public meetings were held in February and September 2018.
A pre-construction public meeting was held on Monday, February 26 at Wood Village Baptist Church, 23601 NE Arata Road. Attendees viewed a drawing of the design and asked the project team about construction issues. Information shared at the meeting is included on this web page.
The Arata Road Active Transportation Project stems from the Arata Road Conceptual Design Plan developed in 2008 in partnership with the City of Wood Village.
Arata Road has long been identified as a substandard street with safety concerns for pedestrians and cyclists, as well as drainage issues. The county held several open houses to collect input on the design from community members, including local residents, members of churches in the area, and visitors to nearby shopping destinations.
County staff have solicited public input on improvements for Arata Road since 2008. Outreach has included three open houses, regular check-ins with the county’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Citizen Advisory Committee, and outreach at the Wood Village Night Out.
An open house was held in July 2016, when the latest project designs were shared. Here is the presentation from the 2016 open house. Some project dates have changed since 2016.
Sign-up to receive updates on the Arata Road Active Transportation Project, or provide us with your feedback: