- Location: Near 13342 NW Newberry Road, between NW Skyline Blvd. and US30.
- Schedule: Construction is complete and the road is open.
- Estimated Cost: $1.8 million (early conceptual estimate)
For Your Safety
NW Newberry was closed to all forms of traffic between US Highway 30 and NW Skyline Boulevard, due to the landslide.
The road was closed at the landslide to bicycles, skateboards and pedestrians, as well as motor vehicles. It was not safe to enter the closed section of road.
This project repaired and re-opened Newberry Road.
A landslide undermined a section of Newberry Road in January 2017, following a major snow storm and melt-off. The road was closed to through traffic between US Highway 30 and NW Skyline Boulevard.
Geotechnical studies and design work were completed, right of way (property) was acquired and construction began in February 2019 and was completed in April 2019. The road reopened on April 17, 2019.
NW Newberry was closed to through traffic between US Highway 30 and NW Skyline Blvd. Local traffic had access up to each side of the slide area, near NW 13342 Newberry Road.
The alternate route for through traffic was NW Cornelius Pass Road. Passenger vehicles, but not trucks, used NW Germantown Road and NW McNamee Road.
What’s Been Done
- Concrete barriers were installed on each side of the slide.
- Road closed signs were installed on each side of the slide and at each end of the road.
- Design work and right of way (property) acquisition were completed. A contractor was hired and construction began in February 2019.
- During construction, contractor Tapani Inc. excavated the slide, built a retaining wall, rebuilt the road and paved it and striped it. Guardrail was added.
- On April 17, 2019 the road reopened.
We would like your feedback on this project. Please use this form to give us your comments and sign up for project updates.