- Location: The south side of the eastbound SW Madison St. approach ramp to the Hawthorne Bridge on the west side of the river, above the southbound lanes of SW Naito Parkway.
- Schedule: January 21 – Mid May, 2019
- Contractor: Hamilton Construction (sub to Hoffman Construction, general contractor for Central Courthouse)
- Cost: $900,000
- Funding Source: Central Courthouse project (Multnomah County funds)
Multnomah County’s Central Courthouse is being built on a block that once had an onramp from southbound SW Naito Parkway to the eastbound Hawthorne Bridge. The ramp was closed in 1997. This project will remove a portion of the onramp where it connected to the south side of the bridge above the southbound lanes of SW Naito Parkway.
A portion of the structure will be removed and a new outside edge to the current eastbound ramp, parapet wall and handrail will be built. Later, the courthouse project will construct a staircase linking the south sidewalk of the Hawthorne Bridge onramp to the west sidewalk on SW Naito Parkway.
- SW Naito Parkway:
- Demolition of parts of the old ramp will require closures of southbound and northbound lanes on SW Naito Parkway. This work will be performed on week nights from 8 pm to 6 am, when less traffic uses the road.
- For several weeks in February, the two southbound lanes and the inside northbound lane of SW Naito Parkway will be closed at night. When both traffic lanes are closed in the same direction, traffic will be detoured onto SW First Ave. or SW Second Ave. for several blocks. The detour will be signed.
- Lane closures will be needed at times throughout construction. All lanes will be open during peak commute hours.
- The west sidewalk of SW Naito Parkway is already closed on the courthouse block, due to construction. Pedestrians can use SW First Ave. or the multi-use path in Waterfront Park. The sidewalk will reopen in 2020.
- Bicyclists can use the Better Naito bike lanes on the east side of SW Naito Parkway starting January 28, or the multi-use path in Waterfront Park.
- SW Madison St. eastbound onramp to Hawthorne Bridge:
- The outside (right) traffic lane will be closed for the duration of the project between SW First Ave. and the top of the northbound ramp from SW Naito Parkway to the bridge. Both eastbound lanes are open east of the ramp.
- The inside (left) eastbound lane will remain open, except for one night at the start and end of the project when both lanes will be closed to set up traffic control.
- The south sidewalk on the SW Madison onramp to Hawthorne Bridge will be closed between SW First Ave. and the east side of SW Naito Parkway throughout the project. Pedestrians will be detour to the north bridge sidewalk and to the south sidewalk east of SW Naito Parkway. The sidewalk ramp and stairs from the south side of the Hawthorne Bridge to Waterfront Park will remain open.
- A narrow bike lane (four feet wide) will remain open for eastbound bicyclists along the work zone.
- The bridge will be closed to motor vehicles from 10 pm on Friday, March 8 until 5 am on Monday, March 11 during a concrete pour for the new deck.
- January 21-22: The inside (north) eastbound lane will be closed on the SW Madison St. onramp to Hawthorne Bridge between SW First Ave. and the onramp from SW Naito Parkway from 8 pm to 6 am during utility preparation work. The outside (south) eastbound lane will be open, as well as the south sidewalk and bike lane.
- January 28th – Both eastbound lanes on the SW Madison St. onramp to the Hawthorne Bridge, and the south sidewalk and bike lane will be closed to install traffic control from 8 pm to 6 am. Eastbound access to the Hawthorne Bridge for all modes will be limited to the northbound onramp from SW Naito Parkway and stairs from Waterfront Park that night. The north sidewalk of the bridge will be open.
- January 28 – Late February:
- Set up work zone barriers on Hawthorne Bridge approach ramp (south side).
- Week night southbound and northbound lane closures on SW Naito Parkway. The outside (right) lane and sidewalk are closed on eastbound Hawthorne Bridge ramp during demolition, construction of concrete falsework.
- Late February – Early May:
- Shift to daytime work with off-peak lane closures on SW Naito Parkway and during final concrete work, installation of railing, light poles and signs. Sidewalk and outside (right) lane remain closed on ramp.
- Mid-May: Complete construction
- Central Courthouse project: https://multco.us/central-courthouse-project
- Better Naito project: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/67572
We are interested in your feedback on this project. Please fill in the form below if you have comments, questions or suggestions.